August 19, 2014

Interview | Micaela of Drifter & the Gypsy


Micaela Hoo is the owner of Drifter & the Gypsy and was kind enough to take part in an interview with me. I have been a follower of hers since my early days of discovering the world of blogging a few years back, and would say Micaela has been one of those who inspired me in my desire to become a blogger. You'll find Drifter & the Gypsy filled with gorgeous photography and design, quirky outfits and beauty, and regular contributions from other bloggers with a wide range of tutorials. Take a look for yourself!



Q1 // Quick sum up:

Micaela Hoo | 20 | Blogger, Photographer, Designer | San Francisco, California

Q2 // For what reason did you begin a blog? What inspires your content?

I began my blog when I was 14 years old. I had just started high school and I absolutely hated it. I felt like I needed an outlet to express myself creatively and a blog allowed me to do just that. My content is inspired by other artists & their work, nature, my family, friends and the community I am surrounded by.


Q3 // A person/story/place/anything that has motivated you or your mind lately?

My friend Jordan of The Balanced Blonde (http://thebalancedblonde.com/) - formerly The Blonde Vegan - recently came out about transitioning from veganism - a lifestyle she based her entire blog and brand on - due to her having an eating disorder. I admire her honesty and courage for putting herself out there and changing her direction in life. Sure, she has gotten a lot of hate mail from her decision, but the amount of support she's gotten from the Internet - with people even telling her their story of having an eating disorder - far outweighs the negative responses.

Q4 // What is your philosophy/advice on life?

Dream big and work it out from there. I have a tendency to say 'Yes' to every opportunity that comes my way, which is extremely overwhelming at times (okay at most times), but by always leaving myself open to opportunities and collaborations, I feel I am conquering my goals and building my dreams, one step at a time.

Q5 // How much time do you generally spend on your blog?

Goodness gracious, my blog is a full-time job. Especially now that it's summer and I'm not in school, I've been spending more time on my blog than usual. I'd say I spend anywhere from 30-60 hours a week on it, counting social media/emailing/networking time. My blog is an extension of my life. It actually gets out of hand a lot and one thing I need to work on is learning how to control it.

Q6 // What is one place in the world you want to experience that you haven't already?

I've always wanted to go to Australia. Based on the interaction I've had with people from that part of the world, I think the social climate is very similar to that of California.


Q7 // Growing up, what did you want to do with your life?

English was my favorite subject and my favorite teacher ever was my 6th grade English teacher (I'm still friends with her to this day!). I was madly in love with writing and I desperately wanted to publish a novel. I also wanted to be an English teacher, but mainly I just wanted to be a published writer. I even subscribed to Writer's Digest for a year when I was in 7th grade! I wanted people to read and enjoy what I wrote. In a way, I guess Drifter & the Gypsy is sort of like that :)

Q8 // What is one thing you would like people to know about you that they may not already?

I am a gluten-free dairy-free plant-based vegetarian who is extremely passionate about health and wellness. If I didn't pursue a career in the arts, I would probably be a nutritionist.

Q9 // What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Determined, passionate and loyal.



Thank you for your time and words, Micaela! x
Everyone, be sure to check out Drifter & the Gypsy and have a lovely week!

No comments :

Post a Comment